Matthew Good: 10 facts only his biggest fans know
How well do you know Matthew Good? One of Canada’s most successful alternative rock stars, here are 10 facts you need to know about this musical legend before Thursday’s show.
1. Matthew Good has sold nearly one million albums.
The alternative rock musician has released 16 albums (solo and with Matthew Good Band) and his debut full-length album – Last of the Ghetto Astronauts – was the highest-selling independent label release by a Canadian artist.
2. He has been nominated for 21 Juno Awards.
MG has won four Juno’s: 2011 Rock Album of the Year for Vancouver, 2002 Video of the Year for Weapon, 2000 Best Rock Album of the Year for Beautiful Midnight and Best Group of the Year.
3. Matthew Good is a political and mental health activist.
4. Matthew Good’s fans have a feisty battle over his best song of all time.
Depending who you ask, it’s either Hello Time Bomb or Load Me Up from the album Beautiful Midnight, or Apparitions from the album Underdogs.
5. He started his music career as a folk singer for a band called ‘Rodchester Kings’.
The band became famous after being discovered during an open-mic night at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver.
6. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2007.
In September 2013, Good spoke at the Toronto TEDx conference about his creative life and bi-polar diagnosis.
7. If Matthew Good wasn’t a musician, he would be a… history teacher!
8. He’s a big fan of LEGO.
In all my years building LEGO with my son, nothing has been more difficult than this thing. You really do have to marvel at what the design teams at LEGO actually do, the time it must take to produce something that is built in a specific way so that it can then be built by others. I’m not going to lie, I’m starting to think that might be my dream job.
9. And the Arsenal FC.
— Matthew Good (@mattgood) March 18, 2017
10. Matthew Good wrote a book in 2001.
Titled At Last There is Nothing Left to Say, he compiled a collection of blog posts, short stories, rants and opinion pieces that he used to write for the band’s website.
See Matthew Good LIVE in concert with Our Lady Peace this Thursday, March 8 inside the Arena at TD Place! Show starts at 7PM, doors open at 6PM.